To help you improve your organizational, critical thinking, and presentational skills you'll present three Informative Speeches - (1) Rehearsal of Informative Speech #1, (2) Informative Speech #1, and (3) Informative Speech #2. You must be on time for class to receive credit for your speech. Because of time constraints, I lock the door when class is scheduled to begin. I encourage you to come to class early.
1. OUTLINE: You must turn in ONE COPY of your outline to me BEFORE you speak. See the link to the left for a sample of correct format. This is a simple, basic outline. The outline must (have):
a) a complete purpose statement at the top of the outline (all four -- not just the thesis)
b) an introduction and conclusion written out
c) preview, review, and transitions underlined
d) be written in complete sentences
e) sources (of work cited in your speech) indicated in the body of the outline (author’s last name, date) in parenthesis at the end of the sentence. (Please note that sources of pictures are NOT included the Reference page).
f) references at the end (you must use proper APA bibliography style). I recommend the North Hall Library website if you need help.
g) be TYPED and STAPLED. I will not accept late outlines. The outline must be in COMPLETE SENTENCES! No references? You lose 50 points.
2. SOURCES: You must use FOUR reputable, reliable, current sources. These must be experts -- received specialized training in that topic. You must cite all four sources in the body of your speech - this is in addition to the one in the introduction. No more than HALF of your sources may be from the internet. Click here for suggestions on citing sources within a speech.
3. TIME: Your speech must be between 4:00 and 6:00 minutes. Points will be deducted otherwise.
4. ORGANIZATION: Your speech must be organized in to 3 to 4 main points, so select an appropriate organizational pattern (Key word)
5. DELIVERY: You will be graded on delivery. Please do not read your speech.
6. VISUAL AID: You must use at least one visual aid. You will receive a ZERO if you fail to use a visual aid.
7. TOPIC APPROVAL FORM (TAF) : Staple your approved Topic Approval Form (TAF) to your outline - put in on the top with your outline after it.
8. You will also receive credit for critiquing your classmates' speeches. You must be in class on your assigned day to receive credit.